Sunday, June 14, 2009

Great Western Gold Extra

Great Western Gold Extra
Type of beer: Malt Liquor
Container Type: 355 mL can
Alcohol by volume: 9.0%
Country of origin: Canada
Rating: 60% (see below)
Number of times I've had this beer: 1st
Cost: $2.20
Tasted on: 6/8/09
Colours of label: Gold/Black
Drank From: Free glass with purchase!
Label Reads: "Brewed Smooth", "Strong Beer".
website: http://www.greatwesternbrewing.com/
Best for: being on a gangsta tip
Ratings:
Taste: 10/20
Flavour: 13/20
Buy again: 10/20
Aroma: 7/10
Satisfaction: 8/10
Complexity: 6/10
Intangible: 6/10
Handwritten notes: Faithful reader(s), you make recall my story about the Coors Light girl at the Dak. This time I walked into the Dak and there was an older lady handing out samples of this particular beer. She looked like someone's auntie. But, as is my practice, I refuse the free samples. Then I realized I could get a free glass (pictured) with purchase, and the Scotsman in me reared his horrible head. So she gave me two samples, Great Western Gold (a mere 6% alcohol) and this one. In order to get the free glass I had to buy a four-pack of this stuff. The cost was the same as 6 of the regular version. You see, in Canada, you don't pay based on quantity, but based on how drunk you can get. Really, though, I was horribly surprised by the quality of this brew. It may be the fact that my mouth was numbed by alcohol, but I drew very clear comparisons to Belgian strong beers. There's the subdued taste of dried fruit and a deep malt taste. Wow. What the hell? Maybe I'm just drunk.
---------------------------------------------
Beer #190 of 3,652

No comments: