Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cannery Brewing Maple Stout

Cannery Brewing Maple Stout
Type of beer: Stout
Container Type: 650 mL bottle
Alcohol by volume: 5.5%
Country of origin: Canada
Rating: 78% (see below)
Number of times I've had this beer: 1st
Cost: $6.00
Tasted on: 2/27/10
Colours of label: Brown/Orange/White
Drank From: Ginny glass
Label Reads: "The addition of natural maple brings this premium Stout a softer, smoother mouth feel and adds a touch of sweetness to balance the dark rich malts. It is a truly Canadian version of an old British classic. Stout, Dark and Handsome. Small Brewery Big Flavour".
website: http://www.cannerybrewing.com/
Best for: swelling to the brim with national pride
Ratings:
Taste: 16/20
Flavour: 15/20
Buy again: 17/20
Aroma: 8/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Complexity: 6/10
Intangible: 7/10

Handwritten notes: I'm no fancy trademark lawyer, but I think the motto "Small Brewery BIG FLAVOUR" is already taken. Even so, I am as shocked with this beer as I was with Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. The Maple in this beer is genuine, not some Maple distillate, which oddly, strangely, works well with stout. I'm a lot of things, but a patriot is not one of them. Canadians as a whole do not lust after their country, sporting Jeremy Shockey-eque tattoos. Mostly the guys I know who have Maple leaves tattooed on their arm did so to "get pussy" and not out of some misguided sense of national pride. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather drink a Maple Stout than tongue-kiss Uncle Sam any day.
---------------------------------------------
Beer #375 of 3,652

No comments: