Monday, December 28, 2009

König Ludwig Weissbier

König Ludwig Weissbier
Type of beer: Hefeweizen
Container Type: 500 mL bottle
Alcohol by volume: 5.50%
Country of origin: Germany
Rating: 69% (see below)
Number of times I've had this beer: 1st
Cost: $4.00
Tasted on: 12/15/09
Colours of label: Yellow/Black/Gold
Drank From: HP Glass
Label Reads: Something in German. About genocide, I think.
website: http://royal-bavarian-beer-selection.com/
Best for: Err... winter?
Ratings:
Taste: 12/20
Flavour: 13/20
Buy again: 14/20
Aroma: 8/10
Satisfaction: 7/10
Complexity: 7/10
Intangible: 8/10
Handwritten notes: A lovely change of pace from the usual winter fare. I haven't had a weizen in a while, and a bitter-ass night is as good a time as any. The taste is a standard weiss, though, an orangey and bready taste, but with a nice bitter finish that I wasn't expecting. Pretty nice for a -38° Celsius night.
---------------------------------------------
Beer #374 of 3,652

2 comments:

Mike said...

Man I can not stand cold ass nights. I live in Fargo, ND, which isn't that cold, and I never thought I would be able to say that, but I guess I don't have it that bad.

I don't mind a good weizen, but I figured on a cold winter night you'd love to be drinking something with a bit more bite. I really enjoy the stouts and porters this time of year. There is something about them that calms me. Maybe it is the roasted taste or the apparent alcohol flavors that I get through it.

Regardless, I hope you get to make your run soon or get a chance for some beer fairies to drop some beer on you.

Mike
<a href="http://www.mikesbrewreview.com>Mike's Brew Review</a>

Bard said...

What up Mike,

First of all, go Goldeyes. One time I nearly got in a fight at Newman Outdoor Field. You guys sure are loyal to your bush leaguers - especially with 13 or 14 Old Mils in your gut.

Second of all, you are about 350 clicks (225 miles) closer to the equator than I am. For the record.

Thirdly, I agree whole-heartedly that the darkness of winter demands a dark beer. Rest assured, that is my beer of choice these frosty days. However, the supply of new types of these lovelies in the WPG is drier than Utah.

Penultimately, I shall be in the flickertail state in May sometime. I can’t wait to see what’s new and stock up on your crafts. Unfortunately we get very little US craft beers up here (if any).

Lastly, your site is awesome. I’ve added it to my list. Keep it up.