Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fort Garry Dark Ale

Fort Garry Dark Ale
Type: Ale
Container Type: 473 mL can
Alcohol volume: 5.0%
Country of origin: Canada
Rating: 71% (see below)
Number of times I've had this type: 12+
Cost: $2.30
Tasted on: 3/31/09
Colours of bottle: Brown/Red/Gold/Black
Drank From: everyday glass
Label Reads: "Fort Garry Dark is craft brewed in small batches and naturally aged without preservatives"
website: http://www.fortgarry.com/
Best for: impressing your blue collar buddies (even though you are just as much of a shlub as they are)
Ratings:
Taste: 15/20
Flavour: 14/20
Buy again: 15/20
Aroma: 7/10
Satisfaction: 8/10
Intangible: 5/10
Complexity 7/10
Handwritten notes: Better in bottles but still solid... nice roasted flavour... coffee/caramel... smooth like Guinness almost... here's the problem folks. This beer is made in Winnipeg. I am not a self loathing Winnipegger, but 99% of the people in Winnipeg would just not buy a beer if it was less than 5% alcohol unless it is some godawful light. I love Fort Garry. I bought their stuff on my 18th birthday, when they were just working out of some dude's basement. I look at other dark ales and realize that by and large, they are about 4.3% but taste like heaven. I'm no scientist, and I don't know if the alcohol content is the problem, but (a) this was a better beer 13 years ago and (b) it could be more now. It doesn't need to be 5%. Enough said.
---------------------------------------------
Beer #32 of 3,652

No comments: